Photo courtesy of Martin Hay

Saturday 17 September 2011

First week in Juba

I've been here five days now, and I've been assured that Juba is relative luxury in comparison to where I'll be based for the majority of my stay here. I can believe it. The room I'm staying in is twice the size of my room in London (although that's not difficult), the showers, though cold, are inside, large and bug free and all the toilets flush. Grand. 

Three disappointments - the internet connection is unreliable at best - non-existant at worst, the water makes my hair sticky and limp no matter how much I rinse it, and I forgot to bring my camera lead which means that pictures in this blog will lack the personal touch. Here's a wikipic of the place - clearly not taken by me!


Had my first daytime outing today to the supermarket where you can buy a plastic, foot-long, gold-coloured trophy for £15 and a Kitkat chunky for £1. To make the trip worthwhile, I splashed out on the Kitkat and some soap to wash my clothes (75p).

(sourced: http://alturl.com/qy437)


On the way back we drove the long-way around the city where I saw plenty of cool stuff - cows with the biggest horns I'd ever seen, goats with really big fat tails and loads of little shops selling all-sorts of crazy stuff. It seems the world has come to Juba and creates some interesting juxtapositions.

No comments:

Post a Comment